Ireland day 0137. Saturday 12 February 2022- RRR

Ireland day 0137. Saturday 12 February 2022- RRR
Today’s summary A domestic day today.   Stayed in Malahide and went on a run, put out the rubbish and did a bit of relaxing before tomorrow’s outing to Bray
Today’s weather Wet in the morning, dry by noon.   Light breeze.   Heavy cloud all day.   About 9C
Today’s overview location
(the red cross in a circle shows where Val and I are at the moment)
Close-up location
(Click button below to download GPX of today’s walk as recorded, or see interactive map at bottom with elevations corrected):
Reverse Demesne 5k Run

R, R and R – Running, rubbish and relaxing.

That’s what sort of a day it was today.   We’d had a flat-out day yesterday so both felt we needed a bit of down-time today, especially given that tomorrow’s a busy day too, with the Bray Head walk to lead.

So first up was running.   It was actually raining quite hard when we got up so neither of us felt very much like heading outside.  So perhaps I should have added a fourth “R” – reading – to the day’s report.   I spent a rainy hour or two ploughing through Ulysses – or rather I didn’t as I am still only halfway through Declan Kiberd’s rather turgid introduction and haven’t even got to Telemachus yet.   By then the rain had stopped so I headed out while Val remained engrossed in Hilary Mantel.

A quick and rather squelchy run around the demesne was despatched relatively speedily – and to add interest I went round the “wrong” way – and got the hill (such as there is) out of the way at the start.   Val followed my footsteps once I got back, then I did the usual rubbish and recycling things (this blog is getting a bit atomic in its detail, I have to admit – but that just shows you what sort of a day it’s been).

Lunch was the super-healthy salad concept which I was actually quite pleased with and which features at the top of the blog.   From then on, most of the day was pretty quiet actually, though we did manage to fit in a lengthy video chat with friends back in the UK in the evening.

So now I’m going to stop – an early night is called for so we can get away early for the walk tomorrow.   I really don’t want to be late so we are going for a train an hour earlier than we really need, just to be on the safe side.   That just leaves me time to check the weather forecast which last time I looked wasn’t sounding great.   Anyway it’s only a relatively short walk and there is really no such thing as bad weather, only poor clothing.

And on that note I will sign off.   Stand by for a report same time same place tomorrow, to find out how it all went!


Today’s photos (click to enlarge)

The castle demesne is well supplied with playing fields which make for ideal grassy runs They are in fact huge
Sporting that manic look that you get when trying to do several things at once A more sensible mode of transport round the demesne.   Well perhaps not if you value your self-esteem
Essential supplies requisitioned and packed for tomorrow
This is exactly the time period that we expect to be walking round Bray Head tomorrow.   Looking on the positive side – a 90% chance of rain still means there is a 10% chance of it not raining
Interactive map

(Elevations corrected at  GPS Visualizer: Assign DEM elevation data to coordinates )

Total distance: 5114 m
Max elevation: 30 m
Min elevation: 10 m
Total climbing: 84 m
Total descent: -84 m
Total time: 00:34:14
Download file: Reverse Demesne 5k Run corrected.gpx

You can read earlier and later days’ blogs below

Previous day’s blog
Next day’s blog
Ireland home page